Travel Alone & Love It: A Flight Attendant's Guide to Solo Travel Review

Travel Alone and Love It: A Flight Attendant's Guide to Solo Travel
Average Reviews:

(More customer reviews)
I don't consider myself a "seasoned traveler," but I'm probably a bit beyond the "total novice" stage. I've done two guided/accompanied vacation tours in Europe, and one concert tour traveling with a large performing ensemble in Eastern Europe for 19 days. I've also done 5 or 6 international business trips that lasted a few days each. So, while I'm no globe-trotter, I've traveled a bit.
That said, I found a lot of the information in this book to be very basic. I didn't pick up any new insights regarding packing, wardrobe, personal safety, or health. Most of this really is common sense (drinking as much water on the plane as you can handle, packing no more than you can comfortably carry yourself, etc.). Some of the information is a little dated, too -- most airlines now count a woman's handbag as one of the two allowed carry-ons.
I _did_ find a few gems: taking along post cards of my home town and photos of my house, for example, is a lovely idea, which I will use on my next trip. I was gratified to find that Sharon's approach to jet lag is precisely what I've discovered (get yourself on the new time cycle as soon as possible, beginning the day of your departure flight, staying awake during the "wake" hours of the new time zone, and making sure you sleep during the "sleep" hours even if it means taking a mild over-the-counter sleep aid). Packing some extra "give-aways" like small candy bars is a nice touch as well.
I would have liked to have seen a bit more information on getting around once you're at your location, especially by car. The author seems to suggest that public transportation and walking are the only alternatives. This works great if you're visiting a city with public transportation. But part of the joy of travel is getting off the beaten path into the countryside. Sometimes, renting a car makes sense.
I'd recommend this book to someone who is looking forward to a second international vacation (I agree with the author that the first solo trip abroad should probably be a guided/accompanied tour), and wants to try "winging" it. If you've traveled by yourself more than a couple of times, you'll probably find this a little too basic.

Click Here to see more reviews about: Travel Alone & Love It: A Flight Attendant's Guide to Solo Travel



Buy Now

Click here for more information about Travel Alone & Love It: A Flight Attendant's Guide to Solo Travel

0 comments:

Post a Comment