Average Reviews:
(More customer reviews)This book should be required reading for anyone entering the helping professions, particularly medical, nursing, psychology or sociology students.
The setting is, sadly, a major state-run mental institution. The author allows us to see through the eyes of the idealistic student that he was, and to experience his stunned and repulsed reaction to what he found to be the reality of psychiatric medical care.
But you don't have to be in the psychiatric profession to find this book both fascinating and revelatory. It's a first-person historical record, in a very readable style, of the often heartless and "stab-in-the-dark" treatment that the mentally ill endured, and though we'd like to think it was in the distant past, it's really not so long ago.
And, on my honor, I am simply a reader of the book. My enthusiasm is genuine and untainted by any motivations except to see this wonderful tool-of-a-book discovered and utilized.
Click Here to see more reviews about: Diary of a Medical Student: Hospital of Horrors
THE TRUE MADHOUSE DAYS Having lived through the true Madhouse days, I can tell you an amzing story not recorded elsewhere. It is about the snake-pit era of the 1950s when our state hospitals like Manteno were reaching their peak populations. At the time our society swept the mentally ill into institutions thought of as benign and benevolent. But in fact they were not so kind and benevolent. Very few people knew about it at the time. But I knew, because I was there. As an idealistic medical student, intent on helping patients with serious mental illness, I went to live at Manteno for three life altering months. Here is what happened...
Click here for more information about Diary of a Medical Student: Hospital of Horrors
0 comments:
Post a Comment